Powys Built Heritage
Powys Built Heritage

Victoria Buildings, Middleton Street

Victoria Buildings before and after restoration

Built in 1893 and used originally as a ground floor shopping arcade providing access to a theatre above. The property has had a very varied history having been adapted into a cinema, reverted to use as a playhouse after World War 2, used as a dancehall in the 50’s and 60’s, used for storage and more recently becoming vacant. Despite its myriad of uses many of the internal features remain in tact such as the original cast iron staircase, gallery and stage, although unfortunately many of the original features externally have been lost over time. The loss of the original shop front and the removal and replacement of the majority of the timber windows with PVC windows are but a few of the adaptations that have occurred to this prominent building. Much of the work on this property was therefore to re-instate lost features. Evidence of some original features were successfully uncovered once works commenced on site and this allowed for more accurate reinstatement.

Works carried out on this vacant property include: Replacement of PVC windows and renovation of existing timber windows, re-instatement of leaded window and repair of existing, re-instatement of shop front and small balustrading to the first floor, re-pointing and repair of clock tower.

Case Study ...



Wynsford House, Middleton Street

Wynsford House before and after restoration
Read more