Powys Built Heritage
Powys Built Heritage

Albert Hall, High Street

Albert Hall before and after restoration

This 750-seat hall was built in 1896 at a cost of £1,600 to hold Welsh church services for the many visitors that came to the town during the summer. It was also used for concerts, lantern lectures, political meetings and the annual Boxing Day Eisteddford. In 1922-23 it was converted into a theatre and a yearly drama festival began. During the Second-World War the hall was used for army lectures during the day and concerts in the evening. Today, the Albert Hall is still used as the town’s theatre.

Situated on Ithon Road, this Grade II listed Building has retained many of its original features including an English Renaissance brick frontage and Art Nouveau entrance. The interior has a raked auditorium and curved fronted gallery. There is ornamental detail to the boxes and the stage has a rectangular proscenium arch.

Grant work included the removal and replacement of the slate roof; restoration of the large timber windows and doors to front and side elevations; repair and replacement of cast iron rain water goods; brick work repairs and new signwriting. This project saw the re-instatement of sand-etched glazing to all the windows on the front and side elevations to match the original.

Copyright© Powys County Council. Powys County Council is not responsible for the content of external websites.

Click here for terms and conditions.

Archive images are courtesy of the Radnorshire Museum and Mr Pete Jenkins

Case Study ...



Warwick House, High Street

Warwick House before and after restoration
Read more